Friday, April 11, 2008

who knew

playing the guitar isn't as easy as it looks. I began my self-taught lessons today and lasted about 3 minutes before I was ready to go on to something new. My wrist aches, my hands feel too small, and how in the heck do you get your fingers to bend like that? Although a little disheartened, I am not in any way deterred from my future in guitar business, for sure.


"My hands are small, I know/But they're not yours, they are my own"


I know Major keys C, F, and G...none of them actually sound like anything decent when I strum the strings but I am choosing to believe that learning the guitar is a slow and delicate process. It will be for me anyway.


I am learning to play guitar in memory of Godfrey, my good friend in Zambia who challenged me during a mid-day gardening session. I conned him in to helping me while he was all dressed up in shiny pointed shoes and a tie. We shoveled and talked about our past lives before we met. He plays the piano and the guitar and wants to be a lawyer. I told him about my years in lessons, first piano, then flute, and when asked if I could play well I had to tell him I couldn't play anything at all.


He challenged me by saying that when the youth in Zambia get an opportunity like that, they'll never give up. He learned everything he knew from teaching himself. So Godfrey, this one's for you! :)

No comments: