Monday, November 3, 2008

for mi familia di bartell


you would like to try the cioccolata calda (hot chocolate) here, you need to eat it with a spoon cause it's so thick, kinda like hot chocolate pudding...mmmm!


We went to Belluno, and it was gorgeous!

We went for an adventure, Me and Sarah from the south!

This is me and my new roommate, Lindsey!

i have missed you. i feel lonely for you when i know you're all together. mom told me that you're having fun in the fall of minnesota, and i am happy that you all got to see each other. my heart hurts when i know that my family is hurting, when there is separation and wounds, but i am excited to trust that these things don't last forever. i think that family is the most important thing on earth, it's good to have a home.

i've been busy in italy although today was an exception. today i walked around town in the rain and watched the first season of the office on dvd. but i also went running and cleaned my dungeon so i wasn't entirely unproductive. i've been teaching english twice a week on tuesday and friday nights and i've been taking italian lessons on friday mornings. it has been fun learning the language and understanding it more. i still feel very silly trying to speak it but i'm trying to be easy with myself and not be frustrated that i'm not fluent after these two months. :) i've made some african and romanian friends and this is fun when i think of going to both africa and romania for missions trips before. i enjoy the mix of cultures and the ability to be part of people's lives. so, i'm doing things, learning things, exploring the world. i know sometimes you might feel worried about me but, you don't need to worry. i am doing absolutely the very thing i love to do and i am happy and blessed to know i have the opportunity.

i do miss home, i miss being known as i move from place to place. i miss having a bed to call my own and having pictures of you all on my wall. i miss curling up in mom's lap and giving my dad a big hug, telling him not to let go cause i just need it to be a little tighter and a little longer. i miss playing games with you grandma and losing every time. i miss joking with grandpa and having him give me that look, unsure of whether i'm joking or serious. i can here him saying, "well..." right now. i miss dairy queen runs and cream cheese dip, french vanilla coffee in frosty glass mugs, taking walks through those small minnesotan towns. i'm sad to know i'll be missing another year of christmas with you all. i won't be there to help pick out our traditional charlie brown christmas tree and i won't get to hear ben reading the christmas story with resistance. i won't get to pass out the presents and mentally count out who got more, making sure the last one to open up a gift is me. :) i'll be in africa, missing you, but doing what i love. if only you could go with me everywhere i went, if i could carry home inside of me. dad tells me i've gotta make every place feel like home but sometimes it's hard without you being there with me.

i love you a lot, i'm praying for you and so thankful to know that you're praying for me too. mom, make sure to give grandma and grandpa a hug and kiss for me.

1 comment:

Finding Joy in Every Journey said...

even when those walks thru small Minnesota towns are in the middle of the night, looking for a medallion in the freezing cold?? What a night that was :) always brings a smile to my face and a great memory of time spent with you, time that I wish we had growing up :)