Thursday, July 9, 2009

boundaries

my awareness that boundaries kept people away from me developed at a young age.
to have boundaries meant that some may not accept me, may not love me, may turn away
so i learned at a young age to not hold boundaries, at least, not firm ones.
this caused many years of pain and chaos, a lack of intention, a lack of direction, a lack in the very things necessary for me to thrive and live to the fullest.

fear

so now i'm on this journey right, and i'm attempting to be healthy, to make good choices, to expect a little more from people and i've found that little girl was right all along. people leave when you set boundaries. i hate this. i hate being left. i don't mind doing the leaving, but being left, that hurts. and the thing is, that those who are leaving me should not have been there to begin with. truly. i'm learning who my friends are, and who they aren't. i'm learning that to expect something from someone isn't a bad thing, it isn't mean either. those who love me haven't left me, they encourage my strength, my growth.

it's just those others that weigh on my heart. i've been pursued by a lot of men, and many times, i resisted my gut and didn't want to be "mean" so i was kind, i didn't hold boundaries, i allowed things i never wanted out of fear of rejection. how can i be all that he wants me to be? boundaries were not defeated, i let them down, i hadn't even built them yet. and so i was broken into and many attempted to destroy me. i gave so much away to people i didn't even want in the first place. i just feared their rejection. why do i fear rejection from people i don't want?

and so now, as i build these boundaries and ask people to treat me with respect, to give me more than their least, to show love, i am losing. my pride is wounded. what's wrong with me? why are the men disappearing? am i not good enough, pretty enough, fun enough. am i too serious, am i mean? the battle of the mind. i am trying to help myself, and yet still wounding myself. rejection still hurts, i guess, no matter who it is that's rejecting you.

it's a strange thing, realizing that i've built my life on the acceptance of others, any and all. and in a moment of truth god asks me why i'm not concerned about what he thinks. the lies of the enemy are numerous and varying, clever. fear of man, rather than god....devalues.

3 comments:

Ginna said...

"...and in a moment of truth god asks me why i'm not concerned about what he thinks."

That's it Meg!!! That's beautiful. I'm so excited for you!

I got your card in the mail today and it made me laugh so hard! Made me hungry too:). I love you like crazy!

Your Steve is out there, I know it. When he finds you, he'll know how blessed he is.

April said...

Your blog spoke to my heart today Meg. I've been realizing that as the pounds drop..I have been unable to shed these feelings of inadequacy. I have been doing so great with my weight loss, but this week I developed a lump in my throat when I saw a guy who I had developed a crush on, kissing a smaller, blonder girl. It makes me angry to know that I have lost 60 lbs., and one kiss can make me feel like a two ton heffer! I immediately started thinking about how it would change once I got smaller. But why should I have to change myself right? Why should I have to sell myself? Who told us that we weren't worth being fought for?
You are beautiful Meg, inside and out. I have been telling myself lately that I need to be comfortable with myself. I need to be strong, independent,caring and compassionate and I shouldn't settle for any man who isn't the same. YOU DESERVE THE SAME! And I have come to the conclusion that I need to stick to that, even if it means that I never find him. Maybe there is a way to just be beautifully single forever and ever. And God will provide, if that be my path. Be strong Megan, have expectations and boundaries. Have confidence that your bright and smiling face is worth loving.
Love you!
Ape

Bonnie said...

Wonderful comments here!

"why do i fear rejection from people i don't want?"

ME TOO! All the time, I put the opinion of others (about me) over God's opinion of me. This is one of my idols.
If I could truly know everyday that you and I were created as kings and queens-made to live in a beautiful garden WITH our beautiful God by our side who loves us perfectly.

Anywho-I think that is why community is so important. In community we can be reminded continuously to keep our hearts in the most beautiful place possible-with our lord Jesus.

I need better community stat!