Sunday, July 20, 2008

my pops

i was thinking today how lucky i am to have the father that i have. i call him pops. he has contributed largely to my laziness in growing up and there are many evidences of this. can i make a confession? i have never had to pay my car insurance....never, my dad has done this for me. i just this week paid for my new car tire, basically one of maybe three fixes on my car that i have funded myself. granted, when i made more money i did pay for more things. but when megahertz is low on money, pops steps in and takes care of her.

my dad has made me breakfast ever since i was teeny tiny. he made me waffles this morning, put out the peanut butter, just the way i like it. even brought me a mug of coffee. he did guilt me into eating some strange processed meat product that had chunks of cheese infused into the middle but when he wasn't looking i shared it with the boys. "but i made it for you" he said...

he used to give me the toy inside the cereal (as long as ben didn't want it). he also used to pack my lunch every day for school. and when i told him i hated peanut butter and honey, he switched me over to cheap sliced meat sandwiches until i decided that i was a vegetarian, and then he started again with the peanut butter and jelly (which i prefer to honey any day).

he's fixed everything and anything that i've needed. and i was just thinking today of how difficult it will be to try to find someone even half as great as he is. i hear stories of men who can't do anything for themselves and i wonder if i'll cut it as a wifey. so anyways, while i was thinking this my dad had just come home, or maybe it was me who had just come home, but either way he was going to get some strawberries out to eat and i asked him if i could have some too.

"do you want them sliced?" he asked. "nope, i like 'em just regular" i replied. i continued on with my task until he called out that the strawberries were ready. i walked into the kitchen to see a most glorious sight. he had sliced my strawberries, and covered them with a couple scoops of ice cream, whipped cream and topped with chocolate shavings. i was in awe. i picked it up, spirit smiling with my incredible luck and turned to go back to my task as i did a face dive directly into the whipped cream.

i had almost sat down when i heard a, "hey!" and a chuckle and then a, "you little bugger, where'd my strawberries go!?" it came from the pops....

i laughed as i brought the bowl back to the kitchen, he was shaking his head. "i thought you made this for me!" i said. but he hadn't, i looked on the counter and saw another bowl, with whole strawberries sitting in it, naked from the lack of ice cream, whipped cream or chocolate sprinkles...humbled, i grabbed my bowl and went back to my task.

he said he'd fix mine up for me if i wanted it like his...he totally would have done that for me if i'd asked. and that's why he's so great...and i'm so lazy. :)

No comments: