Wednesday, February 10, 2010

sweet cheat valentine

when my mom called to ask where i was this afternoon i was worried that she might need me for something and i was stuck at work. my fears were quickly calmed as she told me she had a valentine for me and she was on her way...and "it's edible". i was sitting in a conference room at the time waiting for my social worker to arrive so we could have a one-on-one so i told mom to hurry...i'd hold off the meeting until the delivery arrived.... there's a line between adulthood and childhood, and i'm not really sure where i fall. wouldn't you have wavered on starting your meeting on time if you knew an edible valentine was on the way? lets be honest.
She handed me a brown paper box and i was thrilled to see that rectangular seal, essence bakery - it's where all good things come from. i excitedly looked up and said, "they make vegan now?!" she smirked and said, "it's valentines day megan, you can cheat on valentines day". well, first of all, it's not valentines day yet, and secondly, i agreed immediately.
let me give you some background on my mother. she was hurt by her co-workers when they all joked that she was not the kind of person to hold someone accountable to a diet. she couldn't understand why they would say that, i mean, really?! my mother is the one who will say, "don't you just feel like you need some chocolate?! do you want me to get you some chocolate? you've had a rough day, it's okay to splurge every once and again!" my mother can find a reason to splurge every single day. and this is one of the many reasons why i love her. i don't think she realizes her affinity to sweet cheats, but it is evident to those around her who are trying to use self-control.
there were two in the box, and the first i devoured immediately, some sweet kind of deliciousness. essence specializes in macaroons, unique from all others i've tasted. they're thin and soft like a cookie, and they sandwich and fill them with a hint of heaven. the first was filled with carmel, vanilla bean deliciousness and the second pictured here was filled with fresh raspberries, a rose cream and a tasty jelly. oh. baby.
let me take a moment to express why i love valentines day so much. valentines day is a day to cheat on vegan diets. valentines day is a day to celebrate many days in advance. valentines day is a day where moms give their favorite daughters a piece of heaven in a little brown box.
three cheers for valentines day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

spoken so well ;) You are welcome! I love you, Mom

Ginna said...

Ummm.... why haven't you ever taken me to essence bakery? I feel so cheated.

April said...

I am totally making you take me to this place when I come to visit. I'm totally ready to cheat :) School gets out in the middle to end of April, I am thinking of coming then! It seems so far away!

Unknown said...

She's amazing you and our Roxie and that wonderful bit of love she gave you. Makes me think of Bertha she too had quite a sweet touch and loves Valentines day and her family. How blessed are we.

Bonnie said...

that looks amazing.