Friday, January 16, 2009

begging the question


i have something to say
can someone please pass the soap box?

why is it that we sell ourselves? we actually market ourselves to others by telling them all our awesome adventures, giving them the inside scoop to our hearts and minds. we tell them our favorites before they even ask.

i've been thinking of this a lot lately and maybe it is because i have been giving all sorts of short cuts into the life of megan. and i began to think that it's pretty lame actually. why shouldn't you take the time to know me? why shouldn't you ask me questions about myself? why don't we take a walk down that road, beginning to dance that dance, and learn what it means to be us, together. i'd like you to call me and ask me about my day, i don't want facebook to tell you. i want you to go on adventures with me and learn about my likes and dislikes, i don't want you to read it on a list of "megan's likes and dislikes".

it's been said time and time again that i desire to be known. but i'm realizing that i desire it so much i'm just telling everyone before i even decide if i want them to know me at all. looking for love in all the wrong places, this describes my life so far. almost to the point where i'd sell myself for a fraction, a reflection, a fraud of love....and in the meantime i'm giving up the only real love i've ever known, the truth of god.

it is about time we start valuing ourselves and others more to avoid the short cuts and be willing to take time. all great things take time, and i see that we, as americans in particular, have forgotten the sweetest things, the things of actual value. we try to buy pre-packaged love. "yes, i'll take the love in a can. make that two please" and then we even tip. we've distorted love and life and lowered it to a thing to be bought or sold....but somehow, we're still giving it away. i can't grasp it all, it's complex and disturbing to me. i've found this in myself and i'm tired of the consequences.

today, from this point, there will be no short cuts into the world of megan.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan,

I admire your honesty.
I empathize with your desire to be known; to know.
I am thankful for your poetic articulations.
and... I love you.

Natalie

LIESL said...

My word verification is "words" - how appropriate. Aaaa, this is going to take some bravery to write....: Do you know that when you were in SA, I so badly wanted to be your friend but I was shy. I am sorry that my self-centredness, worrying about what people think of me, prevented me from asking the questions I really wanted to know about you. Regrets.... I admire you a lot. You are real. You are who Jesus wants you to be.

Bonnie said...

Before the fall, relationships were perfect! After the fall, humans stunk at relating to one another..we can't do it perfectly. We can't fully know and to love each other as God does.

I love your reflective thoughts megs.
miss ya.

April said...

Megan.
This blog as a whole...is a shortcut into the life of Megan. If you wanted to just reflect, wouldn't you keep it in a journal? Not publish it into cyberspace? Could it be an attempt to say you're opinions before anyone asks? Like you said?
I love you, and I love reading about your life...but if you're going to be honest. You have to be really really honest:) Don't hate me:) Because I LOVE YOU!